Children's Health and Safety Association has many articles for Summer Safety that are accessible on the front page of our website www.safekid.org under the heading “Children Safety Documents.” Alternately, you can click on any of the underlined headings below to view the documents! Either way we have you covered!
Click on Summer Safety to view the following topics
- Water Safety
- Did You Know?
- Teaching your Child to Swim
- The Golden Rules to First Aid
- Hiking Safety
- First Time Hikers
- Bicycle Safety
- Sports Safety
Click on At the Pool or Lake to view the following topics
- Diving Safety
- The Statistics
- Sudden Impact/Dive Smart – Canadian Red Cross
- Drowning Prevention
- Secondary or Dry Drowning
- Safety Guidelines
- Safety Barriers Around Swimming Pools
- Drowning Statistics
- Swimming Pool and Chemical Safety
Click on Playground Safetyto view the following topics
- Playground Safety Tips
- Did You Know…in Canada
- Playground Equipment Checklist
- Is Your Community Playground Safe?
Click on Boating Safetyto view the following topics
- Boating Safety Checklist for Parents
- Life Jackets:
- What is the Difference Between a Lifejacket & a PFD (Personal Floatation Device)?
- When Should My Children Wear a Lifejacket?
- How Do I Know Which Lifejacket is Right for My Child?
- Is it Safe to Take My Baby on a Boat?
- Laws on Wearing Lifejackets in Canada
- Water Survival Skills
- The Life Saving Society
Click on Camp Preparation & Safetyto view the following topics
- Camp Preparation Checklist
- For Developmentally Challenged Children
- Before Your Children Leave for Camp
- Prepare for Homesickness Before it Happens
- Canadian Camp Association
- Choosing the Right Camp
- National and Provincial Camping Contact List
- The Meaning of Camp Accreditation
Click on Mosquitoes & the West Nile Virus to view the following topics
- Keeping Mosquitoes Away
- Insect Repellent
- Minimize Your Risk
- Health Risks of Mosquitoes and Tick Bites
- What Are Pesticides?
- What are Insect Repellents?
- Choosing a Personal Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen and Personal Insect Repellents
- Products not Recommended for Personal Protection
- General Use Information for all Personal Insect Repellents
Click on Your Kids and the Sun to view the following topics
- How Does the Sun Harm Our Skin?
- Some Skin Cancers Can Be Deadly
- Childhood Sun Protection Is a Must
- Kids at High Risk
- Eight Simple Steps to Sun Protection
- Suncare for Babies
- Protecting Your Baby Skin
- Choosing a Sunscreen
- Applying Sun Screens
- What is an SPF?
- The Shadow Test
- Summer Camp Tips
- Treating a Sunburn
- When On Medication
- The UV Index and Science of Sun Protection
- Sun Protection Actions