May 18, 2014 – Vaccinations have saved more lives in Canada over the past 50 years than any other public health intervention. Before vaccines became available, many Canadian children died from diphtheria, measles and polio – diseases that are now completely preventable.
“A hundred years ago, infectious diseases were the leading cause of deaths worldwide,” says Ian Cuthbert, Executive Director of the Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA).
“Since the introduction of publicly funded immunization programs, they now cause less than 5% of all deaths in Canada but recent outbreaks of influenza and measles across Canada show us that infectious diseases can still be a threat if your vaccinations aren’t up to date. It is imperative that we all maintain our vaccinations, from infancy to your senior years, and the ImmunizeCA app helps us, right at our fingertips,” says Ian Cuthbert.
‘ImmunizeCA’, is an innovative mobile vaccine application that will enable people to manage their vaccination records, access their provincial or territorial vaccination schedule, and procure accurate information on the benefits of vaccinations. It also provides local outbreak alert notifications, vaccination resources and tools for children, adults and travellers.
ImmunizeCA is available FREE at the iTunes app store and Google Play.
ImmunizeCA App will:
- allow you to keep track of your children’s immunizations
- provide up-to-date evidence-based and expert-reviewed, bilingual health information about routine vaccinations for children, adults and travellers
- provide customized schedules based on date of birth, gender and place of residence
- provide you and each member of your family with information regarding vaccination status, including any that are overdue, flu vaccine status and the date of your last tetanus shot
- provide ‘appointment reminders’ for your entire family, and other information specific to your home province or territory
- provide you with alerts about disease outbreaks in your area
- The ImmunizeCA app is a secure, free download and is compatible with all devices running iOS and Android operating systems.
- Through this initiative, the Government of Canada is investing in innovative technology that helps families make informed health decisions.
"We’re really excited to release the ImmunizeCA app designed specifically for Canadians," says Dr. Kumanan Wilson, Senior Scientist and Professor of Medicine at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and University of Ottawa.”
“We think we’ve created an attractive, user-friendly way for people to manage their own health information, while providing simple but scientifically sound answers to many vaccine questions. We hope Canadians find it to be a valuable tool for navigating this important aspect of their health.”
Government of Canada Action Plan for Immunization
The Government of Canada is committed to protecting the health and safety of Canadians. Its mandate is to provide leadership, advice and support for timely vaccine recommendations and sustainable immunization programs. The federal, provincial and territorial governments of Canada share the responsibility for immunization.
There is absolutely no reason your child should suffer from a disease especially when there is a safe and effective way to prevent it. Take steps to protect your family against vaccine-preventable diseases.
If you have concerns about vaccines, talk to your doctor, paediatrician, or other health care provider. You can also find reliable, science-based information about vaccine safety on websites produced by the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Canadian Immunization Awareness Program, the Canadian Paediatric Society, and the World Health Organization.
ImmunizeCA was developed collaboratively with funding from the Public Health Agency of Canada, Immunize Canada and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
Fact Sheet – Public Health Agency of Canada
Don’t Wait, Vaccinate! – Health Canada