header

Children's Health & Safety Association

Issue 22: April 1 – 30, 2014

Monday, 01 October 2012 00:00

Children Eating Laundry Detergent Pods

Written by 

September 28, 2012 - An alert was issued as early as May 24th, 2012, by Poison Control Centres across the US about detergent companies that have a new laundry product that comes in small pods. The capsules are sold under many brand names including Tide Pods, All Mighty Pacs, and Purex Ultra Packs. Children are mistaking the brightly coloured pods for candy and eating them. While no deaths have been reported "…the rapid onset of significant symptoms is pretty scary," said Dr. Jessica Branscome. Ten minutes after a 20-month old infant swallowed a laundry detergent pod; the child developed profuse vomiting, wheezing, and gasping for air, and then became unresponsive to pain stimuli.

Over 250 cases have been reported to Poison Control Centres across Canada and while this number represents a fraction of the thousands of poisoning calls they receive every year, doctors are very concerned because the symptoms children suffer from these detergent pods is more severe than typical laundry poisoning. To date, the American Association of Poison Control Centers state that nearly 3,000 children have eaten laundry pods, all of whom were under the age of five. Despite the overwhelming amount of media attention, children are still falling ill in increasing numbers after consuming the candy-like detergent capsules.

Children are mistaking the brightly coloured pods as candy and eating them.

Poison Control Centres urge all parents and caregivers to make sure laundry detergent pods are locked up and out of reach from children. Dishwasher detergent packs pose an equal risk so please exercise the same caution. To obtain more information on this subject please call your local Poison Control Centre.

Health Canada is working with the Canadian Association of Poison Control Centres to gather information on incidents that may have been reported to Provincial Poison Control Centres. The products involved in the reported incidents are the subject of an on-going review by Health Canada to determine compliance with applicable regulations.

Keep the number of your local Poison Control Centre number near your telephone and in the event that your child has ingested any consumer product, contact your regional Poison Control Centre. If your province or territory does not have a Poison Control Centre, dial 911.

Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of a consumer product or cosmetic. An easy-to-use incident report form is now available on the Department's website.

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mail: Incident Report - Consumer Product Safety Directorate
Health Canada
123 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0K

Read 14796 times Last modified on Monday, 08 October 2012 15:30

1 comment

  • Comment Link cheap movers Monday, 08 October 2012 11:20 posted by cheap movers

    I really like what you guys are up to. This kind of clever work and coverage!

    Keep up the great works guys. I've added you guys to my blogroll.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

FaLang translation system by Faboba

 CHASA Logo 1About Us

Children's Health and Safety Association's mission is to provide up-to-date health and safety information for every concerned parent.  We believe the most effective way of instilling positive change for children is through awareness and information programs.

 

© Copyright 2012-2014 Safekid.org | Designed by navjinder.com